Flooding Damage and risk from COVID on footpaths: Point Clear Essex

I have made the decision to ignore the Politicians
To cut them out.
To research the Dept responsible for the issues I face and write them direct. If I have suffered loss as a result of their actions, to ask them to make good

The following is self explanatory.

Subject: Flooding Damage and risk from COVID on footpaths: Point Clear Essex

Date: 21 September 2020 at 06:30:51 BST

To:enquiries@environment-agency.gov.ukenquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

Without Prejudice. Letter before Action

Attention Sir James Bevan CEO Environment Agency

Dear Sir.

I am writing about two issues that are within your remit

Flooding at Point Clear, Essex.

Attached correspondence is self explanatory.

I have engaged with experts working for the Rijkswaterstaat.

I am sure we will agree that the Netherlands are the acknowledged experts in coastal protection. Unfortunately, all the Dutch children putting their finger in the Dyke in front of my property would not have prevented the damage experienced this year. That will only come if your department, with the greatest respect…. pulls your finger out and cracks on!

I believe they will confirm that the damage I have recently suffered is not due to climate change, but due to the poor management, by your organisation, of beach erosion in this area.

At present my direct costs are some £30,000, for which I hold you responsible and repayment of which may form legal action against HM Gov. Hence the advice that this is a Letter before Action.

The potential costs are accelerating at an exponential rate and if allowed to continue without prompt action, could result in other property owners making claims exceeding £10 million.

I would urge you to take “Action this day”

Footpaths

I note your constructive work with NFA, but this assumes that people can move apart to meet current Social Distancing rules. In this area the footpath is only 2.0m wide making it impossible to meet Social Distance rules. With COVID cases increasing can I ask that you take action to review your portfolio of footpaths and make appropriate changes to current regulations. Again please: “Action this day”

If I can be of any help to your department to solve these issues please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind Regards

Andy White

Founder: Institute for Digital Disruption

CC www.idd.org.uk

1 Like

From: “Area Manager Correspondence, East Anglia” <AreaManagerCorrespondence.EastAnglia@environment-agency.gov.uk>

Subject: AMC/2020/8303 - White to JB:200921/DT26 FW: Flooding Damage and risk from COVID on footpaths: Point Clear Essex

Date: 2 October 2020 at 11:56:42 BST

To:andy@idd.org.uk” <andy@idd.org.uk>

Dear Mr White,

Thank you for your email of 21 September 2020 to our Chief Executive, Sir James Bevan. James has read your email and asked our Area Director, Simon Hawkins, to respond on his behalf. James will also receive a copy of this response.

Please find attached his reply for your information.

If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Stephanie Fullwood

Customers & Engagement Officer

Customers & Engagement Team

East Anglia Area

areamanagercorrespondence.eastanglia@environment-agency.gov.uk

Copy of text

Our ref: AMC/2020/8303
Date: 2 October 2020

Dear Mr White,
Flooding at Point Clear, Essex CO16 8NA

Thank you for your email of 21 September 2020 to our Chief Executive, Sir James Bevan. James has read your email and asked me to respond on his behalf. He will also receive a copy of this response. I am sorry to hear that your property has suffered damage. I can appreciate your concerns around wave splash and any further damage that it could cause to your property.

Your email mentions responsibility, and I think it may be useful to clarify the role of the Environment Agency regarding responsibility for flood and coastal risk management. Whilst we do have, under the Water Resources Act 1991, powers to maintain flood risk management structures, these powers are discretionary in nature. The law does not give us a duty to provide a level of flood protection to properties. This is because the primary responsibility to provide flood risk protection usually sits with the landowner who is also responsible for maintaining any flood risk management structures when and if required. We use a risk-based approach to assess the need and justification for our work, and we invest in activities that are economically and environmentally justifiable, and technically feasible. Details of landowner responsibilities can be found on our online guide “Owning a Watercourse” at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/owning-a-watercourse.

Our Partnership and Strategic Overview (PSO) Team review and programme large-scale or long-term projects and schemes that are required to manage flooding and erosion. While wave splash is to be expected at tidal defences on the open coastline, we are aware that a scheme may be required to manage the beach at Point Clear. I will request our PSO Team to ensure that this is considered for a future scheme. In the meantime we will continue to routinely inspect the defences and monitor the beach after storms.

In your correspondence with Natasha King you raised concerns over damage to the seawall. The local Field Team are planning repairs. Once the planning has been finalised and the funding confirmed, we will make the required repairs. We aim to have these completed this financial year, however this does depend on the availability of funding and any restrictions on the Field Team due to Covid 19. The programme may also be impacted by the weather, as the teams who do this work are redeployed during incidents and emergencies.

Regarding your concern around the footpaths at Point Clear, while we assist landowners in maintaining tidal embankments, management of public footpaths is the responsibility of Essex County Council. If you would like to raise a concern you can contact their Footpaths Department through their website https://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads/tell-us/report-all-issues.aspx

If you would like to discuss this further please contact Natasha King, Catchment Lead for the Colne, who will be happy to help you. You can contact Natasha at natasha.king@environment-agency.gov.uk .

Yours sincerely
Simon Hawkins
Area Director
East Anglia Area

Email: areamanagercorrespondence.eastanglia@environment-agency.gov.uk

Subject: Flooding at Point Clear Essex CO16 8NA

Date: 5 October 2020 at 23:04:00 BST

To: natasha.king@environment-agency.gov.uk

Cc: Nannaji Gibbons nannaji@hotmail.co.uk

Dear Natasha

I write further to the letter from Simon Hawkins dated 2nd October 2020

I attach my analysis of the issue.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this with you and await your advice as to a suitable date and time. (I would suggest we set up a Video Conference)

Andy White
Founder: Institute for Digital Disruption
andy@idd.org.uk

(Copy to Tower Estate residents association and IDD website)

Incident Report Flooding at Point Clear 10_2_2020.pdf (5.1 MB)