The Emperor with no clothes

I listened to Boris Johnson speech last Tuesday until he got to this bit

When the sickness took hold in this country in March, we pulled together in a spirit of national sacrifice and community. We followed the guidance to the letter. We stayed at home, protected the NHS, and saved thousands of lives.

At which point I realised the enormous damage the Dominic Cummings “Eye test to Barnard Castle” debacle had done. Boris and this Government has lost all credibility to lead. I turned off and listened no more

So knowing that you will be seeing Sir Bernard Jenkins this Thursday I have asked him if he might pass on this direct message

Your Svengali: Dominic Cummings broke the spirit of the law of lockdown, if not the actual law, with his 200 mile dash across the country. Worse, you allowed him the use of No 10 to spin his bullshit and worse still, he used the opportunity to claim he had been warning about Covid 19 since last year, when in fact as proven here (and elsewhere) he had cheated and amended his blog post to make it look like he had known. You allowed him to take any moral leadership you might have had and in the space of those excruciating minutes amongst the roses…destroy it.

He should have gone then. He needs to go now.

And you need to step up to the plate as Bernard Jenkins has said and take control Abusing friendships to persuade well meaning people to act as a civilian shield for your incompetence needs to stop. You need to take charge.

Keep on the current course and you will forever be lampooned as Dominic Cummings puppet, An Etonian buffoon who was promoted way beyond his capabilities. An irrelevance at a time of crisis when inspiration was sought and none found. Thousands of additional deaths at your door and an economy in tatters.

It will make no difference, but I will have gone. I am the floating voter that helped Blair to power. This time I did not vote at all, but after your win I thought I would come inside the Tent and joined the Conservatives. Fail to take action this day and I will be firmly outside the Tent in the Lyndon Johnson meaning of the phrase.

Finally; Whenever I am challenged, I look to the example of my two great Uncles who fell during the Great War, one lies in Gallipoli, the other in Flanders Field

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.